Michael Trinder, 61, of Hadleigh Road, East Bergholt, was diagnosed with mesothelioma in February 2006 and died on June 26 this year at the St Elizabeth's Hospice, Ipswich.
During an inquest held yesterday at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court, coroner Dr Peter Dean read from statements from his family which said he had trained as an electrician during his youth.
Since then he had studied at Loughborough University and the University of Essex, before working as an acoustic consultant to the air conditioning industry.
Following his death, the cause was given as mesothelioma, which can be caused by asbestos exposure, by consultant respiratory physician Nicholas Innes.
Dr Dean said: “While he was ill Mr Trinder said the only exposure to asbestos he could recall was when changing soffit boards.
“However he could not rule out that he may have encountered it during his earlier training as an electrician, although he had no recollection of contact.
“We are left with the question of whether this was industrial exposure or domestic exposure, or one of the very small percentage of cases where there was no exposure at all.”
Dr Dean recorded an open verdict and extended his sympathy to the family who were present at the inquest on Tuesday .